|Useful sources on how the
village has changed over the years are Tony Nott’s History of
Westbury Park, the Westbury Trail, published by Mendip
District Council, and Bill Tiley’s account of life in Westbury
when he was growing up in the 1920s and 1930s. These can be
downloaded, saved or printed by clicking on the links below.
THE WESTBURY SOCIETY
Meetings of the recently
formed Westbury Society include
talks and films on the history of the village and local area.
|Files in PDF format can
be downloaded more quickly than MS Word documents. To read PDF files
you need Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded free by clicking on
RESEARCH INTO HOUSES & FAMILIES
professional historian, is available to undertake house and property
histories in Wessex, and to research families with part of their
history in Westbury-sub-Mendip. For further details, phone 01749
870457, or click here
to visit his web site.
Article from The Times (June
2002) on analysis of bones found in Westbury Quarry, showing that
early man lived here 600,000 years ago.
FROM THE PAST FROM JOHN SEALY'S EXTENSIVE COLLECTION
Lodge Hill Station
Master and Porter
Westbury Land Girls, 1943
OF WESTBURY PARK
Tony Nott's history of the
origins of the village from the twelfth to the eighteenth century (PDF).
HISTORY OF St LAWRENCE CHURCH
Short history of the village
church, with some interesting dates.
AND SOCIETY IN WESTBURY 1535-1662
by Tony Nott
PAST AND PRESENT
A vivid way to see how things have changed to the present day is to
look at the Village Trail, which describes a host of historical
facts as part of a walk through Westbury (PDF).
IN THE 1920s and 1930s
Born in 1922, Bill Tiley has
lived in the village all his life. He worked as a type-setter for
the Wells Journal, and saw the change from hand composing,
through hot metal to computers. His evocative article on life in the
village in the inter-war years was originally published in The
| Picture Tour | Past
& Present | Friendly Society
| Church | School
| Events Calendar |
Visitors' Book | Location